Denon AH D5000 Headphone Review  

Posted by nipatr_nvb in , , ,

Denon AH-D5000 : AUDIOPHILE ALL THE WAY
Just about perfect


I ordered these because I was getting tired of wearing my Shure in-ear buds. I ordered them to listen to primarily classical music in an office environment. I already have a set of Grado RS-1s but since those have an open design, they tend to leak more noise ... in AND out.

For the cost of the headphones, the packaging is a little weak. A protective bag for these puppies would be nice. Putting them on -- I would say they are the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn -- light years above the Grados. They are designed for a big head, I think because they feel a little loose on my head at the smallest setting (there are 7 variable settings on each side) but since I'm not going to be working out with these on, they are fine and probably add to the comfort level.

The first thing I played was the Bruch Violin Concerto. It sounds phenomenal. I close my eyes and imagine myself listening in a concert hall. The clarity of the sound is amazing -- you can things on the recording that you would miss in a room with other background noise. The bass is warm and solid -- an advantage of the closed head design. The upper ranges are also very well balanced, crisp and clear. In short -- there is no sacrifice anywhere along the spectrum without one range being emphasized over another.

So far, I have only listened to them through my PC and they are outstanding. I can only imagine how great they would be on a real system.

The cord is plenty long so that you can easily move around (stand and pace a bit) while listening. The phones come with an adapter so you can use them in the smaller computer jacks as well as the larger jacks that you find on real stereos.

My ear buds are outstanding for portability (they cost as much as these denons) and the ability to go into your "alone cone". However, prolonged use of the buds can lead to inner ear irritation (yeast infections etc) and get uncomfortable. These are an excellent alternative if you are going to be sitting at your desk for hours on end and want to shut out the rest of the world. The construction appears to be very solid and give the impression that they will last for ever (though you'll probably have to replace the ear pieces when they get skanky).

One note: if you are primarily listening to MP3s, don't bother with this level of headphones. The sampling rate and sound quality of MP3s and other lossy formats just won't have the level of detail to where the difference between an $500 set of cans can offer over a $100.00 set. And in fact, the detail picked up by the more expensive headphones can be quite annoying when it detracts from the music. If you are wanting the true high-end listening experience, rip your music using a lossless format. Sure, it takes more disk space but you'll enjoy your music as it was intended in all its full-bodied glory.



This entry was posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 at Tuesday, November 18, 2008 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment